Tuesday 12 April 2011

First 750km day of the year!

By far the best day of the year so far with 65 entries on the BGA National Ladder, including some seriously big flights by the national pundits - 1 x 750k, 1 x 700k, 3 x 600km+, 12 x 500km+, 15 x 400km+, and 17 x 300km+ flights!!! Amazing for April.

Take a look at:www.bgaladder.co.uk


Closer to home there was lots of flying instruction and local soaring going on, in fact when I arrived around 1pm DW reported to me that they had had to ask DS to come in and instruct, as well as Bruno, and all 3 K13s were very busy.

As expected, a few likely candidates had set off XC - Al & Lee in the Duo, Graham in his Lak, John LC in his DG800 and Alan L in his DG 300. I finally got ariborne around 2:30pm with a winch launch onto the ridge where I found a good thermal and climbed away. There were some fantastic climbs (I saw 7kts on the avaerager!) but some awsome sink and 20kts of wind at height! In the end I clocked up over 3 hours, but should have achieve more with the day than my local bimble to Northampton and Bicester (where I landed out - doh!).

The season has begun in earnest. Don't miss the next big day.. www.weatherton.blogspot.com/