Saturday 26 May 2012

22 May 2012

22 May

Blue day and hazy. Winds 340/10. Thermals became useful about 2pm.
Jim Jennings, a new member with a silver C re soloed, welcome Jim. Richard Allen, Jim Tez and others kept the K8s flying all day. Ian Murdoch gave his Mosquito an airing for the first time this year, with a very credible soaring flight.
Mark Russel and Alex Nichols were the duty pupils today.
Well done to Martin Jones who went solo for the for the first time today, a very well deserved celebration in the bar afterwards.
Thanks everyone for retrieving the K13 from the field so efficiently---no that wasnt Martins solo flight . All my life I have wanted to fly solo and this week (22nd-24th May 2012) I have finally achieved my goal. With the help of Shenington Gliding Club and faithful DVX, a K13 glider with hand rudder, I experienced the fun of being "up there" on my own and it was great. The first solo take-off and landing are moments I will remember for a very long time. I now look forward to gaining my Bronze Badge and going "cross country".
Due to mobility problems caused by MS I never thought I would be able to fly an aircraft of any sort but here I am, flying solo and loving it! If you have only ever looked up once and seen a glider and thought "wonder what it is like up there?" don't wonder any more, give it a try.
I would like to thank all at Shenington for being so helpful and friendly but in particular the instructors Bruno, Derek, Ian, Tim and Don. They took all my mistakes with patience and in good spirit and helped turn them into useful lessons.
                                        Martin Jones


Don