Saturday 31 March 2012

Another Fox story

Well what to do? that was the question I tried to find the answer most of the day. Having decided to attend the briefing on flying the Fox, I felt reasonably well prepared.

During the day I was doing a duty and watched with interest the preparations and flights of those already on the list.

I did think at one stage I would be robbed of a chance to fly by what appeared to be a major problem with the tug, but a false alarm and it was now my turn.

Having seen other flights I must admit it was with some intrepidation I stepped aboard,well to be honest I was helped into the cockpit by Guy and Val, the old man's syndrome

So off went after a refresher briefing by Guy. What a super glider to fly smooth and responsive and not really as twitchy as I expected.

So it was time on the downwind leg of the aero tow to had over to Guy for rolls on tow. That was a super experience. I don't think I have ever been upside down in a glider with me hanging the straps and that came as a bit of a surprise.It was after that I realised that most of my body weight was hanging on a couple of lap and body straps, no wonder it felt unusual.

All was well and I really looking forward to the rest of the flight. Up to 4000 feet and off the tow to commence a number of manoeuvers, loops, rolls inverted flying and finally a bit of demonstration flying by Guy, Stall turn half roll out, barrel roll and final approach to land. The last manoeuvres at a height normally reserved for the final part of a gliding circuit.

All in all a fabulous experience and one to be repeated when coffers are again full.

Derrick